Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Serenity of the Buddha


This beautifully carved sculpture sits, eternally gracious and serene.  Who carved this beautiful image? Whose talented hands spent patient hours perfecting each wondrous fold in the robe, the detail in the hair and the fold falling gracefully over the left shoulder? What thoughts went through the sculptor's mind as the face of the Buddha was carved, deep in the enlightenment?

I do not know. What I do know is, the talent and the quiet elegance of this sculpture left me breathless in the wonderment of the creativity and artistry of the sculptor.

As beautifully and dedicatedly as the sculptor created this image for us to see, so God is patiently at work sculpting our souls.

'I sit on the bedrock lotus of my life
Thinking deeply about many things.
The third eye on my forehead - my conscience, my soul
opens up and reaches towards God, my Creator.

God, please sculpt my soul
With infinite patience help me to accept your wisdom
in arranging the folds of the pattern of my life

Grant me the grace to see that
your ways are not always my ways. That Your Hands raised in blessing
over me are meant to heal, not hurt

Help me to have the courage and strength
to see that I matter enough, am important enough,
to take a few minutes of my busy day

(as worker; employer; employee; mother; father; daughter; son; carer; partner; husband; wife; friend)
- to spend solely at Your Feet
Listening quietly to Your inner Guidance to me

Guide me to allow the gifts of grace, serenity
Acceptance, patience, love, fortitude, wisdom
and gentleness  to grow within me

As the Buddha came to enlightenment
Let me, too, come to enlightenment within You
The God of all Light.

Amen.'

*Photograph taken by Catherine Nicolette with permission

No comments:

Post a Comment