Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Japanese brush strokes of ink against the sky


As a child I had a wonderful book which my parents had given me as gift; it was a step by step book on how to learn Japanese brush painting. I spent many happy hours trying (unsuccessfully) to emulate the Sumi-e master's strokes of ink which created rivers; mountains; birds; fish; bamboo; chicks; flowers; and exquisite lettering. I never mastered the art though large papers littered my room, and saucers with dried ink and carefully washed brushes lay around bearing testimony to many hours spent trying to learn the art.


What I did learn was a deep love and appreciation for the wondrous art of Japan, and for the great Master Hiroshige and other masters of art. The great Monet, Whistler and Van Gogh took great interest in Japanese brush painting.


When I saw the brush of the branches and the growing cones against the pale summer cloud-filled sky, I wished I had a bamboo brush in my hand again with the ground ink I used to make, happily filling the paper with the strokes of the beautiful landscape portrayed by Japanese art.


Here is a link to a wonderful site about Chinese and Japanese brush painting, with woodblock prints by the Japanese print maker Hiroshige. Explanations of Monet, Whistler, Van Gogh and Hiroshige are given, and there are glowing landscape paintings by Ma Wan Yuan Dynasty, Tang Yin, Ni Zan and other artists. Printable handouts, projects, tutorials and animated film using traditional Chinese landscape painting techniques and music are on this link. Enjoy this wonderful world of the swish of the brush casting the needles and cones of the tree against the clouded sky ...

http://thehelpfulartteacher.blogspot.ie/2011/02/art-of-brush.html
*With thanks to the Helpful Art Teacher for this wonderful blog post
*Photograph taken by Catherine Nicolette in summer of Dublin. Please feel free to use copyright free for any worthy purpose

No comments:

Post a Comment